One of the biggest pro mountain bike races is coming to Colorado Springs this weekend (June 28-29). Saturday’s race is the final race in a 4 races series with $50,000 in prize money. In addition it’s has UCI ranking points which important for Olympic spots.
The course is partially on UCCS land and partially in Pulpit Rock Open Space. The start is across from the University Village Shopping Mall in UCCS’s Parking Lot 15. It is just north of the Four Diamond Sports Complex.
I’ve ridden the cross country course a couple times in the last few weeks. It is 3.2 miles with 385 feet of climbing per lap with 1 steep section. The course isn’t very technical but has some tight corners and a few rocky sections.
This course will be great for spectating as the lap will be quick. There’s also a couple points with 2 way traffic so it’ll be possible to see the racers many times. The views are also good from the course.
The Pro Women race at noon on Saturday and the Pro Men at 2:30 PM Saturday. Sunday the short track Women’s race is at 4:00 and the Men’s at 4:45. In addition to the Pro races, amateurs will be competing in the Colorado State Championships over Saturday and Sunday. See the Colorado State Mountain Bike Championship race schedule here.
Current US Cup Pro Series Standings
Below is the top 5 men and women overall in the series. Complete series standings are here.
- 1. Geoff Kabush – Scott-3Rox Racing – 94 points
- 2. Todd Wells – Specialized Racing – 79 points
- 3. Max Plaxton – Cannondale Factory Team – 69 points
- 4. Sergio Mantecón Gutiérrez – Trek Factory Racing – 57 points
- 5. Marco Aurelio Fontana – Cannondale Factory Team – 53 points
- 5. Manuel Fumic – Cannondale Factory Team – 53 points
- 1. Katerina Nash – Luna Pro Team – 107 points
- 2. Catherine Pendrel – Luna Pro Team – 94 points
- 3. Emily Batty – Trek Factory Racing – 82 points
- 4. Georgia Gould – Luna Pro Team – 70 points
- 5. Evelyn Dong – Backcountry.com – 61 points